Schedule: The course consists of 20 total hours of ground school spread over five 2-hour sessions. We will work with the interested students to determine the schedule that works best for everyone. Schedule would be set at the beginning of the course. See the homework and study requirements below.
Cost : The cost for the group class is $375. Price includes the books and materials required below.
Topics Covered – per FAR 61.105, Aeronautical Knowledge requirements:
- Airplane Systems
- Weather and Weather Services
- Weight & Balance and Performance.
- Private Pilot Test Prep 2020 (ASA) – CRAFT Discounted Price: $17 + tax
- Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, FAA H 8083-25B – PDF can be downloaded for free from the FAA website or purchase a hardcopy version from CRAFT. CRAFT Discounted Price: $20 + tax
- 2020 Charlotte Sectional – $10 + tax
- Mechanical E6-B Flight Computer and plotter – $20 + tax – please note that the FAA now allows the use of electronic E6Bs, these can be purchased through Sporty’s or ASA
- Pilot Log Book – $10 + tax
Attendance and Expectations:
FAR 61.105 does not set a minimum number of hours required for Private Pilot ground training. Ultimately it falls on the instructor to review the knowledge of the student seeking their endorsement for the Private Pilot Knowledge test. We expect this to be taken seriously and everyone to do well, however we understand that life happens. If you have to miss a class session, please let the instructor know ahead of time and we can reschedule a make-up lesson to cover the material that was discussed.
Homework & Study Requirements:
In order to pass the test, the student should expect to study for 3-4 hours for each session of the course.
Not Required but Beneficial:
- Online test question app – There are several that are good, some are free. Kem will make a recommendation. http://www.sheppardair.com/ has a good one if you call.
- 1-2 hours in the Redbird simulator with the instructor to reinforce the principles. Redbird is $70/hour plus instructor $55/hour.
CONTACT US to get started!